High School Counselor's Corner
Welcome to the High Schools Counselor’s Corner! My name is Melissa Adkins, and I am excited to be your new school counselor! The information on this page will change rapidly so please take a moment to scan each section for new updates. The goal for the Counselor’s Corner is to keep students and parents informed about different subjects pertaining to Cloudcroft student requirements for graduation, scholarships, and testing.
I moved to New Mexico in 2001 and became a school counselor in 2009, after receiving my master’s degree in counseling and psychology from Troy University. I began my school counseling career at Alamogordo High School, where I spent seven years. I spent the last two years at Hondo Valley Public Schools. I’m extremely grateful to be here in Cloudcroft!
I firmly believe that my job consists not only of guiding students to graduation and on to the college of their choice, but also counseling students during difficult times throughout their high school years. In that regard, I hope to get to know each and every student here at Cloudcroft High School, so that when the need arises, they will feel comfortable enough to let me help them through any issue. My ultimate goal is to work at making school a positive experience for each of our students.
I look forward to working with the students, staff, and parents here at Cloudcroft High School. If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me by email or by calling (575) 601-4416, ext. 204.
Please see our list of current graduation requirements below.
24 Units to Include:
- 4 units English
- English I
- English II
- English III
- English IV
- 4 units math (1 unit equal to or greater than algebra 2)
- 3 units science (2 units with a lab)
- 3.5 units social sciences
- 1.0 US History/Geography
- 1.0 World History/Geography
- 1.0 Principals of Democracy
- .5 New Mexico History
- 1 unit physical education
- 1 unit career cluster, workplace readiness, or language other than English
- .5 unit health
- 7 units electives
One of the above units must be honors, Advanced Placement, dual credit, or distance learning.
Please call the counselor’s office at (575) 601-4416, ext. 204, with questions or to make an appointment.
Senior Specific Information
Scholarship and FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) informative sessions:
- Thursday, Sept. 19, 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 3, 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 21, 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 19, 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 16, 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 20, 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 19, 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 16, 5:00 p.m.